This time on Candid Animal Cam, Romi shares some great hippopotamus facts with us:
A few facts about hippos:
- Common hippos live in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The common hippo is the 3rd largest living land mammal (behind elephants and white rhinos).
- Hippos can move quickly in both water and on land.
- Hippos lack sweat glands – they spend lots of time in the water to keep their skin cool.
- Hippos love to eat grass – they eat about 40 kg (88 lbs) of food per night!
- Hippos are very social – they live in large groups of 20-30 individuals. Sometimes they form groups of 200 individuals!
- To mark their territory, hippos spray their poop around. They flick their tail from side to side while they poo.
- Male hippos fiercely defend territories.
- Adult hippos have no known predators. Lions, crocodiles, and hyenas can prey on baby hippos.
Did you hear?! Comprehension questions:
- What is the role of hippos in the ecosystem?
- What does an amphibious call mean?
- Why do hippos sometimes have pink patches on their skin?
Learn more on Mongabay.com:
See more Candid Animal Cam!