kids.mongabay.com - helping children learn about the rainforest
Mongabay is the world's most popular site about the rainforest. This section provides information about tropical rainforests in a format suitable for children as well as rainforest materials for educators. For additional information about rainforests, see the rainforests news feed and the main rainforests web site.
Mongabay offers leveled readers for specific grades, including 1st grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade.
The main rainforests section contains a wealth of information on a wide range of issues related to rainforests, like biodiversity, the Amazon, deforestation, the canopy, indigenous peoples, conservation, and the Congo, among many other topics
About Mongabay: Mongabay began as a rainforest information site in 1999 and over the years has expanded to become a non-profit environmental media organization, with bureaus in the United States, Indonesia, India, and Peru. Mongabay works with more than 450 journalists in about 50 countries to produce conservation and environmental science news. Research and articles by Mongabay staffers have been published in a variety of publications, ranging from the journal Science to Singapore's Straits Times newspaper to the Washington Post and our content is regularly cited by some of the world's leading media outlets.
Previous | Next
- May I use graphics from mongabay.com for my projects? Yes, you may provided that you don't remove the mongabay label from the images. You may use information from the site for class projects and can cite mongabay as the source.
- Is this web site credible? Mongabay is the world's most popular source for information on tropical forests. The site is highly acclaimed by a number of the world's leading tropical scientists. Mongabay Founder Rhett Butler has published several scientific papers.
- Can I interview the founder of mongabay for my school project? Unfortunately Rhett is not available for interviews. However he has answered some common questions on the Rainforest Interview page.
- Do you have any games or activities? Currently there are a few on the resources page.
- How can I help save rainforests? Some ideas are listed at Rainforest Solutions.
- Where can I learn more about rainforests? Check the main rainforest site.