Plants or animals that occur (are found) only in a restricted location (an area with limited geographic boundaries). Watch this video to learn more!
Examples of endemic species featured in the video:
- Blue-billed curassow, found only in Colombia
- Caquetá titi monkey, found only in Colombia
- Patagonia frog, found only in Southern Argentina
- Rhinoceros iguana, found only in the Dominican Republic
- A megadiverse country has a high number of endemic species.
- Endemic species are very important to the ecosystems in which they live.
- Endemic species are like environmental thermometers – they indicate the health of the environment in which they occur.
- Endemic species are extremely vulnerable because they are only found in specific areas.