Let’s meet the red panda
Scientific name: Ailurus fulgens
Take the red panda quiz!
- Describe 2 ways red pandas use their tails.
- Red pandas are endangered. What are some threats to these animals in the wild? What are some ways we can help conserve red pandas?
What’s in a name?
Red panda, red bear-cat, lesser panda…these are just some of the many names people call the red panda.
- Why do you think red pandas have so many different common names?
- Can you think of another animal or plant that is called by lots of different names?
- What is a scientific name? Why do you think it is important for species to have a scientific name?
Red panda art activity
Draw, paint, or create a collage of a red panda. Here are a few ideas for inspiration:
- A red panda curled up in a tree, using its tail as a pillow.
- A red panda feeding on bamboo leaves.
- A labeled diagram showing the difference between a red panda and a giant panda.
Or, come up with your own idea!
For more inspiration, check out these photos of red pandas:
WWF: Where do red pandas live? And other red panda facts
*Mongabay Kids is not responsible for content published on external sites.