Let’s meet the red panda (scientific name: Ailurus fulgens):
Test your knowledge!
- Where do red pandas live?
- Are red pandas related to giant pandas?
- What is torpor? Why do red pandas go into torpor?
- Describe 2 ways red pandas use their tails.
- What is the red panda’s diet?
- Name 2 predators that prey on red pandas.
- Red pandas are endangered. What are some threats to these animals in the wild? What are some ways we can help conserve red pandas?
What’s in a name?!
Red panda, red bear-cat, lesser panda … these are just some of the names given to the red panda.
- Why do you think red pandas have so many different common names?
- Can you think of another animal or plant that is called by lots of different names?
- What is a scientific name? Why do you think it is important for species to have a scientific name?
Red panda art activity!
Draw or paint a picture of a beautiful, brightly colored red panda. Here are a few ideas of what you could draw:
- A red panda curled up in a tree, using its tail as a pillow.
- A red panda feeding on bamboo leaves.
- A drawing showing the difference in appearance between a red panda and a giant panda.
Or, come up with your own idea!
For inspiration, check out these photos of red pandas:
For more information about red pandas, visit Romi’s article on Mongabay.com:
*Mongabay Kids is not responsible for content published on external sites.