World Soil Day is 5 December
Why is soil important?
Without soil there would not be many ecosystems on land.
- Soil provides a home and food for plants.
- Soil is the base of terrestrial (land-based) food chains.
- Soil is home for many species of animals and microorganisms, too.
- Soil helps store and purify water.
- Soil stores carbon.
- Soil is the medium in which many important chemical reactions take place that help with recycling of nutrients essential for life.
Earth would be a much more boring place without soil.
Thank you, soil!
Learn more about World Soil Day – access resources about soils and learn how to maintain soil health
United Nations: https://www.un.org/en/observances/world-soil-day
Penn State Extension: https://extension.psu.edu/managing-soil-health-concepts-and-practices
*Mongabay Kids is not responsible for content published on external websites.