A report published by the Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity brings bad tidings to the world. In this report many disheartening facts were made public like the fact that our planet has lost over half of its wetlands! Wetlands play an important role in human life as well as help the environment in a multitude of ways, the fact that they are in danger is something to be worried about.
- Wetlands play an important part in the water cycle, trapping water so that it can become rain. They also help to protect your homes from flooding and storms by trapping water.
- They also help land form and keep the coasts stable.
- Wetlands have the fourth largest amount of Biological weight on the planet.
- In the last 100 years half of the worlds wetlands have been destroyed.
- In 1900 25 million square kilometers of wetland exited, now we barely have 12.8 million square kilometers.
- “Carrying on ‘business as usual’ is no longer an option”- Nick Davidson, Ramsar Convention’s Deputy Secretary General
Want to read more? Read the full story here at: World has lost half its wetlands