On May 5th 2012, 350.org (a climate change awareness organization) organized a planet-wide movement to show people (government, media, the public) how climate change is causing patterns of extreme weather conditions around the world.
- 1000 individual events were held around the world in more than half the Earth’s countries to showcase the issue.
- Supporters of 350.org are trying to show the citizens of the Earth how much harm we are doing to the planet.
- Patterns of extreme weather are increasing around the globe. Countries are experiencing the worst floods, droughts, and storms in hundreds of years.
- Severe weather events around the globe are causing death, destruction, and billions of dollars’ worth of damage.
- Since the 20th century, the temperature of the Earth has increased. This is caused by the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere which trap heat and warm the Earth.
- Major changes in the Earth’s landscape include: melting of sea ice, increase in sea level, and melting of glaciers.
- Major changes in climate patterns include: extremely heavy rainfall (causing flooding), extreme drought (causing wildland fires), increased violent storms, and increasing temperatures.
- Extreme weather is causing devastation to human populations and needs to be halted to save the Earth!
Youth in Haiti participating in 350.orgs Connect the Dots Global Climate Change Event